Popular with locals and visitors alike, Hearson’s Cove is a beautiful beach located on the Burrup Peninsula near Karratha.
Hearson’s Cove is a small sandy cove with steep rugged hills to the south and west and an outlook across Nichol Bay. At high tide it’s an ideal swimming spot, and at low tide you can walk for hundreds of metres on the exposed tidal flats. The expansive mud flats also make it an ideal spot to watch the Staircase to the Moon.
Hearson’s Cove is the historic site of the landing of the Northwest Exploring Expedition led by F.T. Gregory in 1861. This expedition laid the basis for the rapid development of pastoral and pearling industries across the Pilbara region in the 1860s.
Please note Hearson’s Cove is a day use area only, no camping is permitted.
Hearson’s Cove is close to the town of Dampier and within 30 minutes’ drive from Karratha. From the Burrup Peninsula Road, turn onto the Hearson’s Cove Road, which ends at the beach.
Public toilet facilities are located at the carpark.