Once a thriving town established to service copper and gold mines in the region, Whim Creek is still a welcome stop on the North West Coastal Highway.
Whim Creek was established in 1872 when copper was discovered nearby and the township once swelled to 400 people, many of whom worked at the copper mine. At its peak, the town boasted two hotels, a police station, a bakery, a racetrack and a blacksmith, as well as a railway line to the nearby port at Balla Balla.
The only original building still standing is the Whim Creek Hotel which is a welcome stop along the road between Karratha and Port Hedland. The small cemetery, War Memorial and some old mining workings allow a further glimpse into the past.
122 kilometres from Port Hedland and 200 kilometres from Roebourne.