The wide open spaces and warm climate of the Kimberley and Pilbara regions make them ideal destinations for caravan and camping holidays. However, some roads are not suitable for towing a caravan and there are camping restrictions in certain areas, and we recommend that you contact the local visitor centres and Main Roads Western Australia to get an update on local road conditions.
Due to the remoteness of Australia’s North West, you are advised to follow some simple health and safety tips while travelling in your caravan and camping:
- Be prepared – make sure your vehicle is in top condition before you set out
- Carry sufficient food and water, a first aid kit, a comprehensive tool kit and at least two spare tyres
- If you break down, always stay with your vehicle and conserve food and water
- Drive to suit the road conditions – if towing do not exceed 90 kilometres per hour
- Watch out for stray animals on roads, especially at dawn and dusk
- Never drive tired – fatigue kills
- Watch out for road trains – they can reach over 50 metres long
- Slow down in dusty conditions where visibility is poor, stay left and never overtake
- Slow down at all creek crossings and waterways
- Limit the use of fire and be aware of fire bans
- Only build fires in the pits provided and take care to completely extinguish the flame with water when finished
- Seek permission and obtain permits (if required) before entering private property and leave gates as you find them
- Bury human waste if there are no toilet facilities and take all rubbish with you
- Camp in designated areas only
- For more travel advice, see the road safety section.
Start planning your caravan and camping holiday in Australia’s North West
Wherever you see a sign for visitor centres in Australia’s North West, you can be assured of a warm welcome, helpful service and provide local knowledge. Please visit or contact one of visitor centres listed below for all tourism enquiries and booking arrangements. Look for the blue and yellow italic 'i' sign to find an accredited visitor centre on your holiday route.
Caravan and Camping
Pet Friendly Accommodation
Car & Equipment Hire
Need to hire a car or campervan to explore Broome, the Kimberley and the Pilbara?