Jetty Rd, Derby, 6728
A visit to Derby wouldn’t be complete without a walk along the jetty to take in the sunset, or to see the incredible tidal variation of up to 12m – the largest tides in the Southern hemisphere!
Check tide and sunset times at Derby Visitor Centre.
Located a short drive along the sealed road through the tidal marshes just north of the Derby town site, the unusual horseshoe-shaped jetty is open to pedestrians only and you’ll find locals and visitors alike casting a line over the edge in search of a catch for dinner – perhaps even a barramundi or mud crab.
The first wharf, a wooden T-shaped jetty, was built in 1885 and upgraded in the 1890’s to service the early pastoralists of the region. A horse drawn tramway crossed the marshes connecting the wharf to the town and transported goods as well as passengers. The Wool Shed building at the junction of Loch St/Jetty Road and Elder St, one of the oldest buildings in Derby, is the only remaining part of the old port depot area which ceased to be used when the current jetty was built in the 1960’s. Some remnants of rolling stock from the tramway can also be seen alongside the Wool Shed.5km from town centre
5km from town centre